1. When wearing a patterned shirt, confine the rest of your outfit to neutral shades like gray, navy, and khaki.
2. An easy, effective way to mix patterns is to combine a printed shirt with a tie in a textured fabric—say, gingham with herringbone.
3. Keep it small: A subtle, tasteful pattern can be tasteless in a larger size.
4. If you’re feeling hesitant, the best starter pattern for shirts is the simple pin dot.
5. Keep the collar of a patterned shirt on the small side so your overall look doesn’t get too noisy.
Photo courtesy: Details